Saturday, March 21

F109 Countdown: Ferrari

Ferrari:
2008 Results
Best Finish: 1st (Felipe Massa x6, Kimi Raikkonen x2)
Points Scored: 172
Championship Position: 1st
2009 Drivers: Felipe Massa & Kimi Raikkonen

If there is one thing that has become a trend during the history of Formula One, it is how well Ferrari adapts to rule changes. During my reading of Formula One’s history, Enzo Ferrari always ensured his team were ready to adapt.

It has been a trait that has been carried forward since the great man’s death. Of course, one can easily say that a good reason for this is that Ferrari was often away from the top of the field, thus had good reason to be ready for the rules.

If pre-season testing is anything to go by, the Italian team will be fine. It has only been since McLaren have come out and claimed they weren’t looking too rosy for Melbourne that Ferrari has hinted similar problems. Both have used the ‘we were fighting for a championship excuse’.
Honestly, I’ve never bought that excuse. At the end of the day, these are two biggest teams in Formula One. There is no excuse for it, nor is there any point complaining about it. They know the situation well in advance. It is up to them to plan accordingly.

Felipe Massa went from a driver many felt would be lucky to survive the year into a realistic championship contender. I always knew the Brazilian was fast, but I often questioned whether he had the end product in him to fight for it.

Last season, he proved many a doubter wrong. I still feel that Massa lacks something. Whether he gains it, I don’t know, but I don’t think anyone will ever doubt his credentials from this point on. He blitzed his highly rated team-mate, took the most wins in the season and was within thirty seconds of being world champion

It will be interesting to watch just how Massa bounces back from that defeat.
As for Kimi Raikkonen, what can I say really? The Finn was shambolic for most of the year. He came out of the box roaring, but by the middle of the season, that roar had died to a whimper. He looked disinterested, unmotivated and on his way to retirement.
Then he went off a signed a new deal.

If I was Ferrari boss, I would’ve cut my losses and paid Raikkonen off to bring Alonso in. Unfortunately, that decision isn’t mine to make. I feel Raikkonen has lost a lot of respect in the paddock after such a terrible year where he just didn’t seem to give a shit.
Much like Massa, he will be one of the stories to watch in 2009. Will Kimi bounce back, or will he simply drive for a paycheck. I hope for the sake of his legacy, it is the former. But for some reason, I expect the latter.

No comments: