Sunday, May 3

'B' for the Beeb

We now stand four races into a season that has been met with many unknowns.

For most of us who were stuck with the narrow-minded views of the majority of the ITV team last year, we awaited the BBC coverage with bathed breath. Surely, it couldn’t be worse than the abysmally bias coverage we had to endure over the last few years.

I could’ve easily written something up after Australia, but felt it was unfair to judge after just one race. With the first four flyaway races, it is much easier to gauge how the BBC have done, much like F1 teams regroup before heading into Europe.

I have to say, I am very impressed thus far with the BBC coverage that I have watched. Okay, that probably wasn’t going to be too hard given how low an opinion I rated Ryder, Allen and Blundell. But I fully admit I was concerned that it could’ve turned out worse.

The coverage is by no means perfect. After Austraila, I was worried about new race commentator, Jonathan Legard. It felt like he was commentating on the radio. A good deal of his commentary sounded more suited to the Curragh than it did on the Formula One circuit. But to his credit, he has toned it down as the season has gone on.

Together with Martin Brundle, they form a great front team for the BBC. Small mistakes are made, but the nice thing is that they are capable of picking up on them, unlike recent years where they were oblivious to such. Some might see me as a hard ass with my views on the ITV, that I require perfection. It isn’t so. Mistakes will always be made. That is how we learn. But at the very least, one expects to correct those errors. While the odd few slip through the net, it is nice that most are caught now.

The man who has impressed me most is David Coulthard, who has seamlessly transitioned from driver to pundit. In the off chance that you are reading this, Mark Blundell, this is how a former racing pundit is supposed to be. Coulthard is a breath of fresh air and has provided valuable insight for the viewers.

Jake Humphrey, as anchor, is another astute choice by the BBC. I didn’t know much about him myself, with the exception of the odd appearance on a BBC show as I flicked the channels looking for something decent to watch. Like Coulthard, he has taken to it like a duck to water. Given that he is the youngest team member of the team, he is nothing but assured. His recent interview with Lewis Hamilton that was shown before the Bahrain grand prix was brilliant and intelligent, showing off the more human side of Hamilton that was missing during the ITV interviews that felt very staged.

The only part of the team that doesn’t appear to gel just yet is Eddie Jordan. Personally, I expected better. This is Eddie Jordan, the man famous for the quick-fire response and witty banter – a man who could talk his way out of a paper bag and still come out with the better deal.

Yet at times, Eddie seems a little at sea in front of the cameras. Maybe it will take longer for him to adjust to life as a TV personality. But at this stage, he is the only real chink in the BBC team at this time.

I would comment on the extra features bit via the red button, but I haven’t tried them yet. While I don’t mind getting up early for races, I quite like my bed on a Friday and Saturday mornings! With the European season starting up, I hope to sample these and see how the expanded coverage of the BBC does.

All in all, I feel like the BBC has started with a firm footing with the coverage. If I was signing a report card, I would give them a solid B, with room for improvement. It is so nice to not to wake up on Monday morning hoarse from shouting at the television anymore.

No comments: