Friday, June 19

Formula Fucked

I've spent the last month wondering what to do. As I watch the sport I love implode, I find myself in a situation where I don't really want to write anymore. As both sides bicker as they look to take the biggest slice of the cake for themselves, we fans are left, given the royal screw job as is usually the case.

Tonight, as the FIA and FOTA sat on either side of the poker table, the dealer said to call. FOTA have called the FIA's bluff and finally, many years after the idea was originally thrown around, decided to set up their own series.

Suddenly, the prospect of the British Grand Prix this weekend seems pretty forgotten. Is there much point in watching Formula One for the rest of the year now? Really? With eight out of the ten teams leaving for their own championship. Chances are the World Champion won't be on the grid – heck, will any of them be?

I just keep thinking about the Indycar split. The Indy Racing League took the prestigious race. CART took the drivers and the teams. The latter was the more popular one for many a year. Formula One may have the name, but without the Ferrari's and the McLaren's, the Alonso's and the Hamilton's – is it truly the pinnacle of the sport.

No comments: